Thursday, March 6, 2008

California Budget Cuts

As a result of budget cuts made by the Governor of California for the upcoming fiscal year, many programs around California will be cut or reduced in a significant way. A lot of businesses will feel the effects of these cuts, but the programs that will get the brunt of the cuts will be the schools. It doesn’t matter where you might be going to school in the state of California, it is almost certain that some funds from your school will be cut off.


Picture courtesy of: http://www.sourcewatch.org/

Public schools, whether middle school or high school, have the potential to lose some of their faculty and also the resources that are available for the kids now. Budget cuts within this sector of the school system may also result in limited classes this coming fall and the semesters afterward. Class sizes these days are staggering, but be prepared for schools to add more students to these packed rooms because of the impending cuts.

There will also be noticeable effects from the number of students graduating from High School that may not continue their education to the college level. Lower-income families heavily rely on financial aid to help their children go to school and with little money potentially being given out next fall to students, an education might have to wait.

The impact of the budget cuts doesn’t really affect people until it hits close to home. As a San Francisco State University student, messages from the financial aid department has been circulating that reminds students to take as much classes within the next two semesters. The message warns that a lot of programs might not appear anymore due to low funding. Another blow to college students preparing to finish school within a reasonable timeframe.
Overall, many school officials are trying to make their voices heard by joining protests around the state. Students are coming together to make their voices heard also to the administrative body to protest their concerns. What will you do to help?





9 comments:

Josh Muller said...

I like the idea of the political blog. I'm not all that in to politics myself, but that's right on that you are. It's very respectable if nothing else. I was just wondering what you thought of the upcoming budget cuts.

Grant said...

I'm kind of like Josh myself. However, what I do think about the budgetcuts against California schools shows that the Governor doesn't care about the future of children living here. Without music, art, or other extracurricular activities to get them ready for college or the real world, it would leave California's children to grow without goals. It's as if Arnold is trying to make California bankrupt and it's contributing to any economic crisis that's going on now.

Grant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JiratuX said...

Dude, if things keep going this way then we might have another strike. It almost happened last year and it should happen again... DUDE!! We should start up the experimental college again. it would be awesome, students taught by students.

Reid said...

Yeah, I think it's pretty scary what's going on. Things are so hectic now, politically, that I feel like I just want to hide under the covers and see what the world's like in two years. But I guess it's better to prepare and so I'm glad you're letting people know some of the stuff that's going on. I found an interesting list of other people in the Bay Area that are going to be affected by the governor's budget cuts.

John Eightclip said...

What a nightmare man. What do you do you know? The money's got to come from somewhere. This reminds me of a recall we had in 2003. What was the basis for that? A "lack of leadership combined with California's weakened and hurt economy." Weird, looks like Schwarzy can't do much better.

Tony Fantano said...

You present a very well organized blog here. The information is laid out clearly and it is very straightforward. The only thing I feel is missing is a personal passion that comes with choice adjectives and a determination to report on the issues. If as a reader I cannot sense that you care than I don't buy it. I know you have the "hits close to home part" but there you still just tell me the affects. The readers want to know how you feel.

From Tony

Shera said...

In these situations, it's always the people on the lower rung of the ladders (e.g. teachers) that get fucked over, whereas the fat-pocketed administrators continue to thrive on ridiculously overinflated salaries. But these types of scenarios are as old as humanity itself (right?)

lorena zuluaga said...

When I first started to read your blog, I though cool, a student talking about politics. I like when people discuss politics in a conversational manner. I though you did a good job at not only discussing the topic, but giving a small summary of the topic, so that the reader can understand exactly what is going on. However, when I read some of your other posts and realized that your blog wasn't about politics, I was somewhat disappointed. I think you should stick to politics because you can write about it in an effective manner.

Check out theeducation budget cuts post in this blog. I think you will find interesting what he has to say.